February 14, 2012

Abby's Graduation Quilt

When my kids graduate from college they get a flannel quilt as a gift.  They get no say in the colors or pattern.  I get to pick.  I chose this pattern (Memory Lane Lap Quilt from the book "Laps from Fats for Family & Friends" - Book 3) and "Woolies" flannel for Abby about a year and a half before she graduated.   The 20 fat quarters came all bundled together in a lovely kit from Hollyhill Quilt Shop in West Linn, OR and I used almost every inch.   I like to plan in advance and not be rushed to the finish line although with her wedding quilt thrown in there, I did feel the time crunch.


After cutting it out, I put myself on a schedule of one block per day and finished the blocks in 20 days.  Assembling the rows was quick since there are only 20 large blocks and no border.  Quiltmasters did the quilting for me - "Cotton Clouds" is the name of the pattern.  I delivered it in person to Utah in April of 2010 when Abby graduated from BYU with a Bachelor's degree in Linguistics and Paul earned his Bachelor's degree in Russian.  (He got a watch).


Annie's graduation quilt is on the floor of my sewing room waiting to be finished.  I'm hoping to have the top done by the end of February.  Then I want to tackle my scraps.  I've a couple of patterns that are perfect for odds and ends and leftover bits and pieces.  Can't wait to dive into that.

1 comment:

  1. I love that pattern. It's just all around cool and aesthetically appealing.

    ReplyDelete