March 25, 2012

Jacob's Ladder

It was hard to decide which quilt to blog about this week.  At first I thought I might just take some pictures of quilts around my house and call it "Living with Quilts".  Hence the picture below.  But then I decided to do the one pictured on top of my hutch - the purple and white one.  It's been up there for several years and it was about time I took it down.  I fluffed it up in the dryer to get rid of the dust and let the folds work their way out.


 I saw this quilt pictured in a book more than 25 years ago.  It was one of those books about home decorating that you could get through the mail and return if you didn't want it.  The only thing I liked about the book was the one quilt and I sketched this drawing and sent the book back.   This little piece of paper is only 6" x 7".  How I still have it and can find it is a miracle.  It was about 12 years later that I finally made the quilt.


I cut the quilt out at home but did most of the sewing when I went to visit my sister, Karen, in Utah.  I must have driven there and taken my sewing machine with me but don't remember what year exactly.  She was working on a quilt project as well and I remember sewing away at her kitchen table.  I had never made a 2-color quilt before but have always admired them.  Each block finishes to about 9" square.  You can see on my sketch that I thought it should be 12", but I was just guessing, and the smaller size is nicer.  The overall quilt is 63" x 81".


 I didn't realize that this was a variation of the "Jacob's Ladder" quilt block until after I'd made the quilt.  My version of the block is sometimes called "Railroad I".   It's made up of 5 identical 4-patch blocks and 4 half square triangle blocks.  By rotating the 2 blocks within the larger one, you can come up with all sorts of different designs.  I used a large solid block in my layout, but if you use only the pieced blocks you can totally change the look.


The quilting pattern is called "Spring Leaves" and echoes the fabric used on the back of the quilt.  I bought the backing fabric in Utah, the week I was there sewing (and visiting).  This was the first quilt I ever sent to Quiltmasters and I was so thrilled when I got it back, I've been their loyal customer ever since.  Sometimes I say that I like to put a surprise on the back of my quilts.  It's always fun to turn one over and smile because it's so fun.  I love this back because it brings the colors and quilting all together.  And it's much more interesting than something plain (and boring). 




 This free pattern gives you an idea of how different the same block can be with just a little tweaking.  The half square triangle sections are turned so that the dark triangles point toward the center of the block instead of away from the center.  And there are no solid setting blocks either.  It's just one pieced block after another.  I quite like it.  I guess that is why I have the pattern saved and protected so that eventually I can make it.   But realistically, I'm never going to get around to making all the quilts that I have patterns for. 

 
It's spring break here in Oregon and I'm looking forward to a trip to visit my son and daughter-in-law in Corvallis this week.  I've made them some pretty awesome quilts (well, I think they are awesome) and hope to get some pictures while I'm there.  I will also be picking up my latest project from the quilter in Brownsville.  It's not exactly on the way, but will only lengthen the trip by about 40 minutes.  Thanks to all who have commented (on the blog, on Facebook and in person) and encouraged me to keep it up.  I won't run out of quilts for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. So lovely! I love two-color quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun! I always liked the back off that one too.

    ReplyDelete