My friend, Sue and I were shopping at Country Dry Goods in Canby, OR many years ago and saw a quilt similar to this on display. We loved it and as luck would have it, they still had most of the fabrics available. We both wanted to make a Christmas quilt. This is more like a winter quilt with the pinecone border fabric, and truth be known, I leave it in this spot year round, but we loved the colors and purchased the pattern (she must have it because it is nowhere in my house) and fabrics. (Update: The pattern is called "Holiday Stars" by Thimbleberries).
It was fun to take it off its shelf. I'd forgotten it had stars in the corners. There are only 6 fabrics in this quilt and two of them are almost indistinguishable. There is the main border print, the background fabric, the gold for the stars, the red, and 2 greens. One green is used for all the triangle shapes (flying geese and hour glass blocks) and the other is used for the squares and long 2" borders.
This quilt is assembled from the center outward and is called a Medallion Quilt. Together, these 4 star blocks form the main focal point and pieced borders are added around and around.
The finished quilt is a little longer than it is wide (64" x 73"). The first round is the green and tan flying geese blocks. Next is the gold stars and red squares. Then comes an extra row on the top and bottom using red squares and hour glass blocks followed by the green squares and hour glass blocks all the way around. The 5 long borders are added on each side after that. Makes me dizzy just thinking about it. I used the pine cone fabric on the back (which I also forgot was there).
And now that I have completed this post (it's now almost 24 hours later) and done a little sewing today, I'm feeling much better about the world. I may not post again until December 2nd when I will let you know whose name I draw out of my jar. Good luck every one of you! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I have much to be grateful for.
P.S. The awesome quilt shelf was custom built by my fabulous brother, Keith when we were visiting him and his wife Jeanine in Vermilion, Alberta the summer of 2008. I had a picture from a magazine and that was all he needed. Jeanine and I bought the wood when Keith and Kent were out golfing. I love it and have had this quilt hanging from it ever since. It was only yesterday that I put the plant, candle and pine cones up there and I think they add a nice touch.



So beautiful! I love the colors. Makes me want to build a fire and crawl under it.
ReplyDeleteyour quilts are stunning! It's fun how even though you've made the quilt, you've forgotten what was on the sides and back - fun to rediscover things :)
ReplyDeleteReallly like this quilt! I have made several quilts using Thimbleberries fabric and patterns. Enjoy your Thanksgiving
ReplyDeleteWow!! This is a beautiful quilt. It just feels like Tahoe, the lake I call mine because I grew up there. The backing is so fun and just perfect for this time of year.
ReplyDelete