Seth Hall has been a good friend to Annie ever since he moved to Tualatin in December of 2004, the middle of their freshman year. They sang in choir and Crimsonaires together as well as a local church youth choir called "Encore". Seth was part of the gang that would come over to our house for lunch from the high school. I tried to keep "Hot Pockets" in the freezer and I always knew when Seth had been here because he was the only one who drank from the blue plastic "Mo's" cup (you know the restaurant on the Oregon coast). That cup is still high up in the cupboard. And he seemed to be able to smell Annie's chocolate chip oatmeal cookies from afar.
Because he was here so often, he would occasionally see a project I was working on and one day he mentioned that no one had ever made a quilt for him. I told him that I would make him one when he got married. I only ever said it once that I can remember, but it is a good thing I did not forget. When I walked up to Seth and Ale at their reception in Tualatin (which was held several weeks before the wedding), I told him that I had brought a quilt for him. Well, he had remembered my promise and had even told Ale about it when they got engaged. She told him not to count on it because I might not have remembered and she didn't want him to be disappointed. Good advice because there are a lot of things I forget these days, but this was not one of them. Seth seemed so pleased which made me very happy.
So, back to the quilt. This log cabin quilt is one of three quilts I pieced last spring. If you remember, one went to my nephew David in June, another went to the Passey family reunion in July and the third was just waiting for the perfect home. After my not so successful shopping trip, I looked at this quilt again and just knew it was meant for Seth. I've blogged about these log cabin blocks before so won't bore you with the details, except for a few. All the centers are red, which is what you would expect in a traditional log cabin block. The strips were cut 2" wide for a finished width of 1 1/2" and a finished block measures 10 1/2" square. The finished quilt is 63" x 84", just perfect for two to snuggle under while watching movies. It's the same as the log cabin quilt I gave to my niece, Jenni, and the same layout as well, except that I put the dark side of the squares toward the center and worked my way out.
Quiltmasters did the quilting and the pattern is called "Sticky Buns". I really like the circular design on the straight line quilt. It adds interest and dimension and with the simple marbled fabric on the back, the quilting really shines. I didn't attach the binding until after I had decided to give it to Seth. That way I could think about who the quilt was going to as I was stitching.
Sometimes we wonder how Annie survived her junior and senior years of high school after the death of her sister Allison and being the only child at home with her sad parents. It was her special friends that were always there to have fun and share the ups and downs of life. I will be forever grateful to each one of them.
The
reception was held on Friday, December 21st at the Gregson residence just a couple of blocks
away. We were able to take the quilt out of the bag and shoot a couple
of photos. The happy couple were married on January 11, 2013 in Utah, and are now living in Provo.

You are amazing. I especially love the warm colors on this one!
ReplyDeleteThis quilt looks warm and cozy. And let's hear it for all the wonderful friends our kids have!
ReplyDeleteKids who hang out at our houses when our kids are growing up have a special home in our hearts. Every kid should have a special "second mom" like you.
ReplyDelete