As is tradition, an auction was held to raise money for the next reunion and I contributed a quilt. It is a pattern I have loved for a long time and decided last fall that this is the one I would make.
It is from the book "Simple Comforts" by Kim Diehl and is called "High Cotton". It is a small lap size, 54" x 66". I love how she describes it. "Harvest a bumper crop of your favorite prints while stitching this scrappy quilt chock-full of colorful checkerboard squares. Twisting and weaving ever upward to kiss the sky, these striking yet humble patchwork rows will brighten any room."
The finished block shown above is 6" square and is made up of three 4-patches set diagonally with rectangles and squares attached on one or both sides. It was an enjoyable block to make. I went through my stash of fat quarters and scraps and cut two pieced blocks from each print and one solid square for the border. I also cut out another quilt from the same book and have those blocks made as well. Maybe it will go to the next reunion.
I did the quilting myself instead of sending it out. I followed the diagonal line of the white squares first with cream colored thread and then switched to a reddish brown thread for all the rest. I used a gold thread on the back and didn't have any problem with the thread popping through either direction. Must be my new machine, eh?
It was a silent auction this year and several people were bidding on the quilt which made me feel good. In the end, Margaret Thomson was the successful bidder. She is the wife of my cousin Weldon Thomson.
When we got to the reunion for dinner on Thursday night, she told us about her memories of growing up in Cardston in a tiny house with 10 children and how Dr. Fred would come to their house to check on them if someone had been ill. Dr. Fred is Kent's dad and it was sweet to hear him remembered so fondly. Margaret and Weldon have 6 children and 22 grandchildren. When my dad came back from Japan after the Korean war, he brought a small electric boat in his duffel bag and gave it to Weldon. Weldon would have been a boy but has taken good care of that small gift and it is still in his possession. Margaret has been at Weldon's side as he has managed church ranches in Alberta, Montana and Australia. Margaret enjoys quilting and gardening, and her grandchildren, of course. It was so nice to get reacquainted with many of my cousins. The older I get, the more I recognize the importance of these relationships and our shared ancestry.
Jeanine, Larene and I, along with some of our cousins were in charge of breakfast this morning. We served a pancake breakfast and I made a yummy fruit syrup. It is so tasty so I thought I would share the recipe here.
Berry Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. corn starch
1 cup water
2 cups berries (be generous)
Combine the sugar and corn starch and whisk in a sauce pan. Then add the water and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar dissolves and then add the berries. Return to boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Let cool and enjoy over pancakes or waffles. Will keep for several weeks in the fridge. I've made it with just raspberries, just blueberries and all sorts of other combinations. I love a raspberry, blueberry and marionberry combo. We used the frozen mixed berries from Costco for the syrup served this morning.
Well, I can't end this post without a few pictures from one of the prettiest places on earth, at least to me.
Cameron Falls
Waterton Lake
The Prince of Wales Hotel


No comments:
Post a Comment