It's Monday and I should be cleaning my bathroom and bedroom and starting my laundry but I'm a little bit off my schedule, and what good schedule is not meant to be tweaked from time to time. Maybe I just feel like writing this morning. I've got four completed quilts out to two quilters, three more almost completed (blocks sewn together in rows), a block of the month with only one month to go, three quilts cut out and begging to be started and I can't count how many more are waiting for me to begin (meaning I have all the fabric). Yikes! It almost sounds like I am out of control, but I don't think I am. I still only quilt in my spare time.
I saw this quilt (or a quilt that looked like this) in the Pine Needle three or four years ago and thought it was so different and cute. A few weeks later, I saw the themed fabric in a store in Salem but it was pink. I tried to recreate the quilt in my mind and almost bought the fabric but decided against it. Then a few weeks after that, I was back at the Pine Needle and they had kits for it, so I bought one. This was one of those impulse buys, but it was just so unique and I figured one of my granddaughters might like it.
So I made it up. It was quick and easy. The pattern is called "Elements" and was designed by the shop (which has now closed - sad day). "This simple quilt pattern is a wonderful way to showcase the gorgeous fabrics available today." The original quilt on the front of the pattern was done in beautiful Asian prints but this version uses "Far, Far Away" by Heather Ross for Windham Fabrics. There are lots of possibilities and with the larger pieces you can really see the fabrics.
Quiltmasters did the quilting for me in the Dragonflies pattern. Just perfect.
The finished quilt is 47" x 57", the perfect size for a little girl like Laurel, my youngest granddaughter.
I had not intended to give Laurel a quilt for Christmas last year but her cousins, Calvin and Oliver were getting quilts and I didn't want her to feel left out since they would all be here celebrating with us. I had actually pulled this quilt out and snuggled under it with Laurel last fall while we were watching a movie together. We managed to get some red M&M juice on it. It was then that I learned that "The Princess and the Pea" was one of her favorite stories. That clinched it. This was to be Laurel's quilt. Lucky for me, I get to see Laurel and her family on a more regular basis since they have moved closer (only 4 hours away instead of across the country). We see each other at least once a month and it is so much fun. She says I make her feel sweet and good which is exactly what she is.
Love that girl!


No comments:
Post a Comment