July 1, 2020

Patriotic Projects

I think this post should have more pictures than words but it seems like I always have something to say, even though it is hard to get started sometimes.


I started this quilt about two years ago on a little quilt retreat to the coast with my friends Ardyth and Kay.  I had two projects I was working on (the other was the flannel tree quilts that I made for myself and my friend Sue).  I saw a picture of this cute and simple patriotic quilt and didn't see any need to purchase a pattern since it was just simple stars and half square triangles.  I had enough fabric in my stash so just went for it.  I made the stars finish at 8" square so the half square triangles finished 4" square.  Pretty easy.



The only thing I really needed to pay attention to was the order of my reds and which light fabrics would go on either side because you can see that I needed to use two different lights with each of the red fabrics.


I had this adorable fabric for the back and had Pam Gamble quilt it using this very gentle curved line.  I think it turned out so cute.

I still have more patriotic stash and scraps so when I recently saw an Instagram post with some patriotic pillows and a link to the free patterns I couldn't resist.  I sent the link out to my quilting group less than two weeks ago and five or six friends said they wanted to join in the fun.  So I hurried and got them made and have enjoyed seeing the pictures of their finished (and works in progress) pillows.


I put them here for the purpose of the picture and I love how they turned out.  I discovered some new quilting stitches on my machine and put zippers in the backs, so new things to learn and do which made them even more enjoyable to make.

Maybe next year I'll make some Canada Day pillows.  Did you know it was Canada Day today?  Well, now you do.  It is also the birthday of that cute little boy in the family picture.  Danny would be 38 years old today.  I hardly recognize that family but know it's me and mine.



I had almost as much fun quilting the backs of these pillows as I had quilting the fronts.  The backs definitely took longer and it really isn't necessary, but its definitely good practice.  I'm starting to really enjoy the actually machine quilting part.


And a better picture of the birthday boy in Canada with his mother in the summer of 1987.  I am looking forward to a week of quiet celebration, and reflecting on the beautiful and free countries I call home.




No comments:

Post a Comment